Embrace JOMO over FOMO, Stay Motivated

 embrace-jomo-over-fomo-stay-motivated

"How is Richard doing these days?" These days, we don't see him very much. He'll miss out on opportunities."

"I suppose his FOMO just lost to JOMO, Michael."

"Now, Kevin, what is it?" What's the difference between FOMO and JOMO?

FOMO vs. JOMO is the topic of this essay. If you're not sure what these two strange-looking terms signify, this little explanation will be of great assistance, and you'll be able to overcome your FOMO with JOMO.

FOMO vs. JOMO: What's the Difference?

FOMO, or Dread of Missing Out, is more common than ever these days, thanks to social media and the constant fear that there are more, better, and interesting things you might be doing right now.

When Apple and Blackberry were only fruits, someone once said, life was so much easier. As much as I want to agree with this viewpoint, I cannot overstate the significance of these names (OK, Blackberry bombed, so we'll ignore it!) in our lives. Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, and Twitter are all in the same boat. It began as a fun game for individuals who were bored or had spare time, but it has now expanded into an important part of our everyday life. I remember when Orkut was popular. It was addictive since it was unlike any other online site - we could mail scraps and type up feedback for our friends, among other unique virtual jobs that gave us a dopamine rush.

As humans, we are intended to be social animals, but many of us, particularly millennials, have reached a point where we can't seem to stop comparing our lives to what others are posting on social media. You're trying to recuperate from a broken relationship while your married buddy can't stop uploading images of her vacation. You're hoping to clear all of the arrears that you've appeared for when your cousin posts about his university's first-place result. However, we must keep in mind that no one tweets about their poor hair days or bad events on social media (unless they are tagged by somebody else, who, by the way, is looking incredible in the same photo). That isn't to say they don't have their fair share, though. Accepting this fact can help you appreciate JOMO — the joy of missing out – FOMO's wonderful sibling. To fight the paradox of choice that one encounters in daily life, this essentially entails taking a few steps back.

FOMO (fear of missing out)

Let me illustrate with an example.

So, I received two WhatsApp messages yesterday night. One was an invitation from a boyhood buddy to play in a friendly match with a well-known club in the city at the time. My father sent the second message, asking me to drive the family to a location that I had always wanted to visit.

Both of these texts made me leap up and down. It was now or never to decide where I would be the next day. On the football field, or driving away in the car.

Now came the moment to make a crucial decision, and it was excruciatingly difficult to do so. You know what it's called when you're afraid of making a bad decision? FOMO!

What if I was selected to play in a football game, but the trip was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

What if I went on the trip, but the football game was a shambles, and my footballer showed up?

This is the point at which FOMO sets in.

Ways to Boost JOMO and Fight FOMO

Unfortunately, this term (JOMO) has not yet entered the Oxford dictionary, but I am hopeful that it will do so in the future as more of us adopt this way of life. "Joy of missing out" is defined as "the pleasure derived from engaging in current activities while remaining unconcerned that others are leading more satisfied lives."

I determined to practise the opposite of fear: the joy of missing out, after realising how much of my life I was missing out on due to dread.

"JOMO allows you to make your inner world happen and important without having to worry about the outside world." This line can be tweeted.

I passionately believe in the following six mantras.

I started saying them to myself on a daily basis, especially when I started to feel the symptoms of FOMO. These mantras have helped me cultivate a true sense of joy. And I'm convinced they'll be able to help you as well:

"I am the Party House, and I am the Party."

It's one of my favourite ways to remind myself that missing out on something isn't a big deal. If the party is inside you, that means you can have fun and happiness no matter where you are, even if you're at home alone on the sofa. You have the ability to turn every moment of your life into a party.

"I'm exactly where I'm intended to be," says the narrator.

"You should be there," I'd tell myself when I caught myself thinking it, assuring myself that I was always where I needed to be. What leads me to believe that? Because it is exactly where I am at the moment. If I had to be somewhere else, that's where I'd go. As a result, I'm certainly intended to be here right now.

What's important to me will not be overlooked."

Last year, I declined an invitation to a huge, invite-only event at which I had previously attended for years. Bezos, Shonda Rhimes, and Brene Brown, to mention a few, were among those in attendance. My brain shouted loudly no when my friends called to tell me they had enrolled and asked if I was attending. I would have gone anyhow and had a nice time in the past, but this time I chose to celebrate something more profound, my soul. And I reminded myself that because I am honouring myself, if an opportunity is meant for me, it will find me.

"Disconnect"

When running a business, it's easy to get overly reliant on technology. Even now, I have to remind myself to take a break from my JOMO addiction. This phrase acts as a reminder to turn off my phone, close my laptop, disconnect from the outside world, and reconnect with myself and the people who matter most to me. I utilise this one at 5 p.m. every day and on weekends. I often tell myself, "Disconnect, Boy," because I feel we'd all be a lot happier if we did.

"This Life is Mine"

 Reminds me that I have complete control over how I spend my time. I'd rather spend it on the people, causes, and causes that I care about the most, rather than on things I'm being forced to connect with out of fear. Rather of draining myself, I prefer to make decisions that empower me. This could be as simple as saying "yes" to an invitation or staying at home with the dogs. There is no method, but you must first understand who you are, what matters to you, and what you truly desire in this life.

"Take it easy on yourself"

I'm a fast-paced individual. I really loved going fast, and after I crashed, I realised I was going way too fast. This taught me the importance of slowing down in life so that I could reconsider my choices. I talk about slowing down a lot because I believe we all need to take a breather now and again. On the other side, intention and energy can generate a sense of slowness. This is something I tell myself all the time to remind myself to slow down and appreciate the moment, because what if this is the most amazing thing ever and I'm missing it because I'm racing through it?

Last Thoughts

JOMO is a FOMO remedy that you must try if you want your life to be the way you want it to be. You are intended to be in a specific location. It doesn't matter where you are; you must enjoy the moment and forget about the rest of the world.

Continue chanting these mantras and your life will be brilliant.

Tags:

fear of missing out, fomo vs jomo, FOMO, joy of missing out

Read This Full ARTICLE, Click Here

Explore Global Business News, Click Here

Comments